Kerala culture: Kumbalangi village tour
Port Cochin • Level of difficulties Easy • Type Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Entertainment, Meal included • Price Adults € • Duration in ours 6.5 • Shore excursion code
An excursion designed for those who love to discover new and fascinating cultures, which will make us live the experience of a delicious cruise along the waters of Kumbalangi and then it will take us to discover the traditions of this quiet and peaceful village, where the inhabitants’ survival depends only on the nature.
What we will see
• Cruise to discover local fishing techniques
• Village of Kumbalangi
• Everyday village activities
• Lunch with local specialities
• Chinese fishing nets
• Kolkali performance
• Rickshaw ride
• Shopping at Mattancherry
• Spectacular countryside with backwaters and fish farms
What we will do
• We travel from the port to the village of Kumbalangi, the starting point for our enchanting cruise, which offers an opportunity to observe the various local fishing techniques including veesuvala and padal.
• After leaving the boat we head for the village, where we are divided into small groups to watch the locals going about their day to day business: catching crabs and fish, preparing coconut milk punch, processing shellfish and coconut fibres, weaving rugs and oola madayal (special coconut leaves woven to create a roof covering), and making fishing nets.
• For lunch we enjoy local specialities in an open-air area with a view of the Chinese fishing nets resting on the surface of the water. We can see the way these nets are used and how the fishing system known as papu mari works.
• Such an exciting day would not be complete without a Kolkali performance, a traditional dance in which the dancers move in a circle, singing and dancing and tapping each other with sticks.
• And that is not all: after the performance we enjoy a brief rickshaw ride through the narrow streets of the village
• Our trip has come to an end and we return to Kochi, travelling through spectacular countryside with backwaters and fish farms on either side of the road.
What you need to know
• We recommend wearing comfortable shoes.
• Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
• Adverse traffic conditions could alter the duration of the excursion. The streets may not be tarred.
• This excursion is not recommended to guests with mobility problems.
• The trip to Kumbalangi will take place on boat and will last approximately 1h.
• Do not forget to bring insect repellent.?